ADHS' PrepareAthon! Day of Action
The Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) observed the first PrepareAthon! Day of Action on April 30, 2014, with a canned good cooking competition inspired and supported by the Emergency Kit Cook-Off.
Prior to April 30, teams of ADHS employees worked together to devise recipes featuring ingredients from an emergency supplies kit. The end results were recipes with names like "Fishy Fiberific Cracker Snacks" and "Emergency Fiesta Nachos."
On the Day of Action, 10 teams served samples of their recipes to a small crowd of judges and curious coworkers. The recipes were judged on their creative use of emergency kit ingredients and, of course, taste.
First, second and third place prizes, including gift cards and prepacked "go kits," were awarded to three standout recipes, which are listed before.
All participating PrepareAThon! chefs went home with the official Emergency Kit Cook-Off apron.
Brenda Nichols, Lisa Ventrello, Mary Ellen Cunningham, Jessica Stewart and Sarah Henry -- 1st Place
Peach Salsa (recipe adapted from "Dont Panic" Peach Salsa)
* 2 fruit cups of diced peaches (drained)
* Dried onion (to taste)
* 1 tsp. dried cilantro
* Lime juice (to taste)
* Graham crackers
* Drain peaches
* In a bowl, combine: peaches, dried onion, dried cilantro, and lime juice
* Serve with graham crackers
Mary Luc, Patricia Sauceda and Amber Asburry -- 2nd Place
Emergency Fiesta Nachos
* 1 can of drained black beans
* 1 can of drained Ro-Tel diced tomatoes
* 1 can of drained corn
* 1 can of drained chicken breast
* 1 jar of salsa con queso (or cheese)
* 1 bag of tortilla chips
* Mix together black beans, diced tomatoes, corn, and chicken breast
* Warm the mix over a campstove (optional)
* Spread cheese on a chip
* Scoop the mix onto the chips
Nancy Dorobiala, Diane Williams and Heather Glaser -- 3rd Place
Mexican Bean Soup
* 3 cans pinto beans rinsed and drained – dehydrated
* 3 tsp. beef bouillon
* 2 tsp. chick bouillon
* 1 green pepper – dehydrated
* 1 red pepper – dehydrated
* 1/2 cup carrots – dehydrated
* 1 sautéed onion (with 1 teaspoon minced garlic) – dehydrated
* 2 potatoes chopped and cooked – dehydrated
* 1 Tbsp. garlic powder
* 1 Tbsp. dry oregano
* 1/4 Tbsp. cayenne pepper
* 1 Tbsp. parsley
* 1 tsp. Mrs. Dash Table Blend
* 1 tsp. black pepper & Lawry's Seasoning Salt
* 1 Tbsp. flour
* 2 Tbsp. corn starch
* Boil 4 cups water and add all ingredients.
* Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes
For more Emergency Kit Cook-Off recipes, search the Emergency Kit Cookbook.